Quad exhaust tips have been a signature feature of the most powerful letter in the automotive sphere for quite some time. It is a hallmark of the brand that Dinan has long embraced, limiting its own quad tip usage to those M cars that already sported like tip quantity from the factory. That is… until now with the release of the Dinan axle back exhaust system for the G20 M340i.
While some may scoff at the feature being implemented into a “pseudo-M,” the M340i, and the B58 engine platform, are extremely potent and worthy of such a distinction. The factory valance also accommodates the four massive 102mm tips perfectly, further cementing Dinan's opinion that the quad tips were destined to be on this performance model. Being numerous and big are not the only selling points to the tips however. Dinan has retained its signature straight cut tip design, safeguarding its unique and elegant styling position amongst a crowded marketplace full of angle cuts. With systems available with either black ceramic coated or polished clamp-on, and laser engraved exhaust tips, there is a version that is sure to meet your individual aesthetic needs.
The use of quad tips also presented some additional challenges and fostered some innovation to the already visually impressive system constructed entirely of TIG welded and brushed T304 stainless steel. Confined to dual tips, the factory system utilizes only one exhaust valve and functions by eliminating the passenger side tip when the valve is closed, siphoning all gases through the muffler and out the driver’s side tip for quieter operation. With the introduction of more pipes/tips, this methodology was not practical, or desired. In true Dinan M exhaust fashion, their talented engineering team decided that integrating a second valve to the system would garner the most favorable results in both symmetry and overall sound. The result is a system that incorporates larger 76mm tubing (vs 70mm stock) and allows freer flow through the entirety of the system but specifically to both outer pipes when the enlarged valves are open. The resulting flow and sound mimics an awe-inspiring straight pipe solution with a deeper and meatier tone, a defining element of all Dinan exhausts. In contradiction to the aggressiveness resulting from open valves, when the valves are closed, all gasses are forced into the muffler for sound deadening and exit the two inner tips. Regardless of valve position, the intimate nature of the interior is retained so conversation can continue without an excessively loud drone courtesy of numerous drone abatement technologies in the can. With the Dinan exhaust equipped on the M340i you get the best of both worlds; aggressive tone/sound and civility. A combination that is a paramount to any M exhaust, and now by virtue of tip count, the M340i. Welcome to the illustrious family.
Benefits of the Dinan Valved Axle Back Exhaust for the BMW G20 M340i:
- Maximum gain of +6 HP @ 6600 RPM, +5 FT-LB @ 6600 RPM
- Enjoyably louder, sportier sound.
- Quad 4" diameter clamp-on, double-walled, black ceramic coated and laser engraved exhaust tips.
- 100% 304 stainless steel construction.
- Larger diameter piping for increased flow (76mm vs 70mm).
- 4 lbs lighter than the stock system.
- Stock exhaust valve actuator reused and another valve/actuator added to the opposing side promoting even flow regardless of valve position.
- Computer controlled exhaust valves are retained and limit noise during low speed driving and open fully during high-load conditions.
- Twin exhaust valves are a whopping 76mm diameter, making them 30% less restrictive than the OE valves.
- Easy bolt-on installation with included mounting hardware.
For more information, visit www.dinancars.com.