Photography by Hayden Londero, Jason Ah Tow.
With 49% of the Popular Vote, the winner of the Tuner Battlegrounds #TBGLIVE award category competition at the inaugural Hot Import Nights in Australia is Clayton Pallister with a 2006 Subaru Forester!
Japan’s rare Subaru Forester STI was a long-time dream of Clayton Pallister, but unfortunately the Australian import laws didn’t work in his favor. According to Australian law, he would need to own the car in Japan for two years prior to importing it, and that just wasn’t in the cards for Pallister. Having previously owned and modified a 1999 Forester for eight years, he knew he wanted to stick to the platform.
Pallister decided he would build his own Forester STI, albeit the less conventional way. He picked up a 2006 Subaru Forester and decided he would modify it to be as close to a clone of the Forester STI as he could get it, including a World Rally Blue paint job and tail lights from the STI version of the platform. With a fully-built block courtesy of Deshele Performance, and a 6-speed STI transmission swap, the fun factor of the 440 whp Forester was amplified.
A black set of 18-inch Work DR9 wheels makes the World Rally Blue pop, and it also lends an aggressive look to the wagon. Thanks to an Air Lift Performance air suspension system, the Forester can squat low over the Work wheels, while an assortment of chassis braces from Whiteline, Cusco, and Beatrush keep the chassis stiff and planted in the corners.
Now a show-worthy and enjoyable build, Pallister says he has achieved his goal of building a fun Subaru that is a departure from the usual WRX/STI. These days you can catch him at local roll race drags, car meets, and shows in New South Wales, Australia.
Clayton's 2006 Subaru Forester is featured in PASMAG #154. Click HERE to order.
- Deshele Performance built block
- Kelford 272 cams
- Ported heads
- Equal length headers
- Injector Dynamics 1300cc injectors
- Walbro 650 fuel pump
- GT Pumps 3.5 turbocharger
- Process West (front mount, cold air intake)
- GrimmSpeed boost solenoid
- 2006 WRX STI ECU
- Xforce 3-inch turbo-back exhaust
- Varex muffler
- STI 6-speed transmission
- R180 differential
- Kart Boy short shifter kit
WHEELS / TIRES / BRAKES
- Work DR9 wheels - 18x9.5 +38 (f/r)
- Nitto Invo tires - 235/40/18 (f/r)
- STI Brembo brakes
- Bendix brake pads
CHASSIS / SUSPENSION
- Air Lift Performance air suspension
- Whiteline sway bars (f/r)
- Cusco (X-brace, strut brace, rear brace)
- Power engine bay brace
- Beatrush roof brace
- SG9 STI (front bar, cross sports grille)
- STI (front lip, roof rails, tail lights)
- Blacked out front headlight housings
- HID headlights
- World Rally Blue paint
- Bride bucket seats
- WeAreLikewise shift knob
- Custom Bride fabric door cards
- Floor-mounted fire extinguishers
- NRG harness bar
- Takata harness
AUDIO / MOBILE ELECTRONICS
- Pioneer 7-inch head unit
- Rockford Fosgate speakers